BuyPowerNG is a popular utility bill payment platform that allows users to pay utility bills for both prepaid and postpaid meters. While prepaid meters receive value in the form of tokens that are converted into units, postpaid meters receive receipts that can be offered wherever they are requested.
BuyPower.ng currently provides a variety of payment options for its customers, including payment by card, bank transfers, instant transfers, USSD code, and now also a loan service.
The diverse options the platform offers is just one of the many reasons why it is the go-to destination when it comes to paying for utilities.
The Latest Payment Option By BuyPowerNG
BuyPower.ng has introduced a new payment function that allows users to borrow money to pay their electricity bills online (via the BuyPower.ng website) or via their mobile app (Google Play Store or App Store).
The new function “Pay with a kwikmoney loan” is intended to improve access to credit for current and potential users of the platform. This can be done via their website or via their mobile app.
Commenting on the new payment option, CEO and co-founder Ojima Benjamin Ufaruna said: “At BuyPower, we take our customer’s satisfaction seriously. Our aim is to continue to keep customers happy, so this partnership with kwikmoney, which enables users to take out loans to pay their bills, is very important.
“While consumer access to credit is a very big issue, I firmly believe that partnerships like this would improve the status quo and confront more people with credit.”
BuyPower.ng is the first payment platform for utilities to offer this opportunity, and we have plans to continue innovating and trying out potential solutions for our large customer base.
The new option ‘Pay with a kwikmoney loan’ is available on the BuyPower checkout page and is shown to the eligible customers. And like other payment methods available, it provides a seamless experience for users.
Other notable features on BuyPower.ng include consumption history, reminders, payment with instant transfers, an in-app wallet, and more. They really bring convenience to the doorsteps of households in Nigeria.
Services Offered by BuyPower
You can borrow Borrow power
The Borrow-Me-Power solution, a first of its kind in Nigeria, allows customers to borrow power units when they do not have funds at the time and pay later.
- Register on powernow.com.ng website
- After successful registration, click on eligibility link from the menu list
- Select your DISCO (e.g. EKEDC) then input your meter number and confirm if your meter is eligible.
- Once eligible, click on borrow power, select your disco and input the amount you intend to borrow. (Note: you cannot borrow beyond your approved limit).
- Bet your power unit token and load unto your meter (for prepaid users).
- For post-paid users, print the receipt and present it to DISCO officials when needed
You can Buy Power
The buy solution provides the customer with convenient channels streamlined to their preference to purchase power units and to pay their post-paid bills.
- Click on the buy power button from the welcome page
- Select your DISCO (e.g. EKEDC) then input your meter number and other details, confirm the amount you want to purchase and proceed.
- Make payment via your bank or with your card
- Print receipt and load the power token into your meter (for prepaid users).
- For post-paid users: you are to print the receipt and present it to the DISCO officials when needed.
Pay Back Loan
It is important that the loaned electricity units are paid back before your tokens run out (for pre-paid meters) or your next bill is shared by the distribution company (for post-paid meters).
You can pay back your loan through 2 different channels;
- Through web; www.powernow.com.ng
- Through USSD; by dialing *946#
How to Pay Through the Web on Buy Power
- Visit powernow.com.ng.
- Click on buy power.
- Confirm your electricity distribution company and meter number
- Input the amount you intend to buy (note: due to the loan owed on your meter vending amount will be your debt plus N900. i.e. if you borrowed N3000, the minimum you are to buy will be #3900. The N900 is not part of your loan, as you will be given the #900 in meter token).
- Confirm the transaction.
- On the payment gateway page, you are to input your card or bank details to make payment.
- On successful payment, you will receive a receipt detailing the entire transaction, while giving you meter token worth N900 for pre-paid users or a receipt of N900 for post-paid users.
How to Payback through USSD
- Dial the shortcode *946#
- Select buy power from the menu displayed.
- Select your distribution company
- Input your meter number
- Input the amount you intend to buy (note: due to the loan owed on your meter vending amount will be your debt plus #900. i.e. if you borrowed 3000, the minimum you are to buy will be #3900. The #900 is not part of your loan, as you will be given the #900 in meter token).
- Confirm transaction
- Select your preferred bank (if you have multiple banks tied to the phone number).
- Input your account number
- Input your USSD pin
- On successful payment you will receive an SMS informing you that your loan has been settled and meter token worth N900 for pre-paid meters or an N900 receipt for post-paid meters.
Note: Your bank accounts must be linked to the phone number in use. You must activate USSD banking from your bank.