MediaTek and Intel partnership is already yielding positive results. The major partnership points to a 5G support on Intel-powered laptops by 2021. However, both companies have now announced a new smartphone chipset scheduled for 2020.
The new SoC is called “Dimensity 1000” and will be the first in the Dimensity lineup. It is built on a 7nm manufacturing process technology. The SoC will come with 5G integration and supports 5G 2 carrier aggregation. The Dimensity 1000 will also be the first SoC to support dual 5G SIM. It is capable of up to 2.5 Gbps uploads and 4.7 Gbps downloads over 5G frequencies below 6 GHz.
Camera-wise, the Dimensity 1000 can capture up to 80 MP at up to 24 shots per second and also supports a 32 MP + 16 MP dual-camera combo all thanks to its 5-core Image Signal Processor (ISP). The SoC is capable of shooting 4K videos at 60 fps and Multi-frame Video HDR. This will be the first time a mobile chipset will support Multi-frame Video HDR.
According to benchmark tests, the Dimensity 1000 scored 480,000 on AnTuTu and 12,096 on GeekBench 4.2. MediaTek President Joe Chen said the company’s 5G technology goes head-to-head with anyone in the industry. Looking at the benchmark test result of the Snapdragon 855+ chipset, it scored 11,000 on GeekBench 4.2 and 490,000 on AnTuTu. It is also worth mentioning that the Dimensity 1000 supports Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 while for the Snapdragon 855+, it supports Wi-Fi 5 instead.
MediaTek claims their new chipset consumes 40% less power and performs 38% faster than the SD 855+. This isn’t far from the truth, considering the fact that Snapdragon 855+ clock speed is at 2.84 GHz. Whereas, Dimensity 1000 clock speed is at 2.6 GHz. Higher clock speed inevitably consumes more power.
The Dimensity 1000 chipset is expected to make its way into devices from the first half of 2020 in China and other Asian markets. While for the US market, it is expected to be in the second half of 2020.
MediaTek Dimensity 1000 5G SoC specs
- Clock speed: (4 x Cortex A77 @ 2.6 GHz) + (4 x Cortex A55 @ 2.0 GHz)
- 5G modem: 3GGP Rel. 4.7 Gbps down, 2.5 Gbps up via sub-6 GHz frequencies; NR TDD / NR FDD Bands; *SA / NSA
- 4G modem: TDD/FDD, 4×4 MIMO; 256 QAM; WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, CDMA 1X, EV-DO, GSM / EDGE
- Memory: 4-channel LPDD4x, up to 16GB
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6 (2×2 801.11 ax); Bluetooth 5.1; GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC, Dual *Band L1 + L5 GNSS
- Display: QHD+ @ 90 Hz; DisplayPort support
- Video: 4K @ 60fps; H.264/265/VP9/AV1; Multi-frame Video HDR
- Still imagery: 5-core ISP; up to 80 MP @ 24 shots per second; 32 MP + 16 MP dual camera
- APU: 3rd-gen 5-Core
- Misc: Supports Dual SIM: 5G+5G, 4G+5G, and 5G+ 4G