Vivo unveiled the X50 series back in June 2020, which has a mix of mid-rangers (X50 and X50 Pro) and high-end device (X50 Pro+). The Vivo X50 Pro+ is only available in China while the X50 and X50 Pro made its way into the global market. For the purpose of this article, we’ll be focusing on the global released X50 and X50 Pro. Both are mid-rangers and comes with friendly and affordable price tags.
Vivo X50 and X50 Pro Key Specs
- 6.56″ AMOLED display
- Octa-core 2.4GHz Snapdragon 765G chipset
- Android 10 (Funtouch 10.5)
- 8GB RAM /128GB/256GB ROM
- 48MP AI Quad main camera
- 32MP selfie camera
- 4,200 mAh (Vivo X50), 4,315 mAh (Vivo X50 Pro)
Design and Display
The Vivo X50 series comes in a sleek design with a 2.5D curved flex screen. The punch-hole camera cut-out in the display is super tiny measuring 3.96mm. Vivo uses an advanced COP (Chip on Pi) process to ensure that the bezels are super narrow. All these means the device is slimmer, lighter and more comfortable to hold. The Vivo X50 measures 7.55mm thick and weighs 174.5 grams. Whereas the Vivo X50 Pro measures 8mm thick and 181.5 grams in weight. In terms of body colour options, the Vivo X50 comes in Glaze Black and Frost Blue. Whereas, there is only one colour option for the Vivo X50 Pro – Alpha Grey.
The Vivo X50 and X50 Pro sports a 6.56″ AMOLED display with pure visual delight. The display refreshes and responds faster thanks to a 90Hz refresh rate and a 180Hz response rate. It features 1080 x 2376 pixels resolution, HDR10+, DCI-P3 Colour Gamut and 1,300nit maximum brightness. The Vivo Energy Guardian (VEG) technology reduces heating especially when gaming which leads to a cooler and smooth experience.
Hardware and Software
Powering the Vivo X50 series is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G chipset which boasts a low energy consumption and high-end flagship performance. The chip supports 5G connectivity for better call quality, lower latency and faster data downloads. There are two memory configuration – an 8GB RAM with 128GB storage on the Vivo X50 and an 8GB RAM with 256GB storage on the X50 Pro. Both phones are without a microSD slot for additional storage. For software, they both run on Android 10 operating system with Vivo’s Funtouch 10.5 custom skin on top.
Both the Vivo X50 and X50 Pro has four cameras at the back but with different specs. They do share the same 48MP f/1.6 Sony IMX598 main sensor with OIS and PDAF, an 8MP f/2.2 ultrawide sensor with 120° FoV and a 13MP f/2.5 portrait sensor with 2x optical zoom. In addition to the three cameras, the Vivo X50 sports a 5MP f/2.5 macro sensor with 1.5cm Focus Distance while the Vivo X50 Pro adds an 8MP periscope telephoto sensor with 5x optical zoom.
When the camera detects extreme darkness, it switches to an Extreme Night Vision thanks to an innovative new AI denoise algorithm. Other interesting features is the Astro mode (penetrates dark nights and captures what lies beneath it), Motion AF Tracking, Pro Sports/Normal mode, and Smart Zoom. In the selfie department, there is no separating both phones. They sport the same 32MP f/2.5 camera with HDR and can shoot 1080p videos at 30fps.
The Vivo X50 packs a non-removable Li-Po 4,200 mAh battery capacity while the Vivo X50 Pro has a 4,315 mAh capacity. They both support the same 33W fast charging technology which gives you 57% battery life within 30 minutes.
Vivo X50 and X50 Pro Pro Complete Specs
- Announced: June 2020
- Status: June 2020
Design [ Build Factor], Display and Colour Options
- Dimension: Height- 158.5mm * Width- 72.8mm * Thickness- 8mm
- Weight: 173g (X50), 181.5g (X50)
- Build Quality: Plastic
- Screen Display Type: AMOLED
- Screen Size: 6.56″
- Resolution: 1080 x 2376
- Aspect Ratio: –
- Display Protection: Yes
- Notch: No
- Multi-touch screen: Yes
- Colour Options: Alpha Grey (X50 Pro), Glaze Black and Frost Blue (X50).
Operating System and Memory
- Operating System: Android 10 (Funtouch 10.5)
- Chipset: Snapdragon 765G
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- RAM: 8GB
- Built-in Storage Capacity: 128GB (X50), 256GB (X50 Pro)
- Card Slot: No
Rear and Front Camera Rating
- Rear Camera Sensor: 48+13+8+5MP (X50), 48+13+8+8MP (X50 Pro)
- Selfie Camera Sensor: 32MP
- Camera Features: HDR, panorama, PDAF, OIS, Super Night Mode, Astro Mode, Pro Sports Mode, Portrait (Art Portrait, AI Makeup, Filters, etc.), AR Stickers, Slow Motion, Live Photo, Time-Lapse, Video, Supermoon Mode, DOC, dual-LED dual-tone flash
- Video Recording: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
Wireless Network Bands and Connectivity Options
- Technology: GSM / CDMA / HSPA / LTE / 5G
- 5G Network Bands: 1, 3, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA
- 4G Network Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 3G Network Bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 2G Network Bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- SIM Type: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- USB: Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- FM Radio: No
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
Sound Quality and Multimedia Support
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Speaker Location: Bottom
- Sound Enhancement Features: Yes
- Audio Jack Type: No
- Video Support Formats: H.264 (Baseline / Main / High profile), MPEG4 (Simple profile / ASP) and other video formats
- Audio Support formats: PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC +, MP3, AMR – NB and WB, APE, WAV
- Battery Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4,200 mAh (X50), 4,315 mAh (X50 Pro)
- Wireless Charging: NO
- Fast Charging: 33W
- Fingerprint Sensor (under display), Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Electronic Compass
Vivo X50 and X50 Pro Price and Availability
The Vivo X50 Pro costs around N230,000 while the standard X50 retails for about N199,000.