Whatsapp Messenger is a freeware which allows you send texts, make phone calls, and send voice notes at zero charges. Acquired by Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook in 2014 in a deal worth about $19.3 billion, this cross-platform mobile messaging service now boasts over 1.5 billion users all around the world.
While it is 100% free to use, data charges still apply for chatting, making voice and video calls, and others. Fortunately, a number of mobile networks in Nigeria, such as Airtel and MTN, provide very affordable WhatsApp data plans.
WhatsApp Messenger Key Features
Whatsapp messenger which was developed by Brian Acton and Jan Koum in 2009, supports many operating platforms, including Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and Windows or Mac PCs. Here are some of the basic features of this extremely popular app:
- There are no hidden costs: Once you download WhatsApp and launch it, you can see all your friends using the service when you tap the icon for a message on the app. Using your Internet connection (either EDGE, 2G, 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi), it allows you send unlimited messages to your friends daily at no cost at all.
- There are no international charges: Much the same way you don’t incur any extra charges while sending an international email, sending messages internationally via WhatsApp is also 100% free. It lets you chat with friends in any part of the world, any time you want, and as long as you choose to, so long they’ve WhatsApp Messenger installed on their mobile device.
- Great Multimedia support: WhatsApp is a convenient tool for sending Video, Images, & Voice notes to family, friends, colleagues, and business partners.
- Highly Personalized: It lets you set a profile photo, shown to every one of your contacts.
- Group Chat: WhatsApp is an amazing program to hold group conversations with your contacts. With this feature, you can add/remove group members, set an icon for the group, and change group subject.
- There is no need to log in or log out: Yes, you needn’t log in or out on WhatsApp, so there won’t be any confusion as regards getting logged off from another mobile phone or computer.
- There is no need to add your friends: WhatsApp automatically links your Address Book with it, so you can see those contacts that are on the messaging platform and start chatting with them instantly. No need to add any buddy.
- And so much more: Exchange contacts, Custom notification sounds, Message timestamps, Share location and places, Broadcast messages Custom wallpaper, Landscape mode, Email chat history, etc.
What’s New on the Whatsapp Messenger?
You Can Now Use Stickers to Express Yourself via WhatsApp
WhatsApp users with this latest version of the software can share their feelings with others using stickers. There are many such stickers — such as a smiling teacup or a crying broken heart — some of which are created by the designers of Mountain View, California-based WhatsApp Inc. and others by third-party developers. Stickers are important for sharing your feelings with family and friends in situations, where words fail.
To make use of stickers in a chat, you should simply hit the new sticker button and then choose your favourite sticker to be shared. WhatsApp allows you add new sticker packs when you tap the plus icon. This feature will be made available for Android and iOS users very soon. Learn more on how you can create your own sticker apps for WhatsApp.